Total Pageviews

Thursday 2 April 2015

Audioslave


AUDIOSLAVE
I used to think successful super groups were a myth in rock music. It wasn’t until I listened to Cream, Them crooked vultures, The traveling Wilburys and Audio slave that I gave it any real thought. Successful super groups do exist, though not as abundantly as one would think. Many super groups end up being a waste of creativity and time, take for example “Zwan,” a bad super group in every sense of the word “bad”. I won’t dwell on how much Zwan disappointed me, so I’ll just roll on to the main feature, Audio slave.

Top left to right: Brad Wilk, Tom Morello,
Bottom Left to right: Tim Commerford and Chris Cornell
 
Audio slave was a super group formed in the early 2000s and consisted of former member of the bands, Sound garden and Rage against the machine. The band had the incredible Chris Cornell from grunge band, Sound garden, on vocal duty. I don’t want to blow his talent out of proportion, but Chris Cornell has an incredible vocal range, and was one of the finest band vocalists of the 90s, might even warrant the title of being called the era’s finest front man.  The super group was completed by three former members of Rap Rock/alt metal outfit Rage Against the machine. Of the members from Rage against the machine, was Tom Morello, an axman of unconventional prowess, the lead guitarist of Audio slave and Rage against the machine. Tom is a celebrated guitar hero much like Jack white, Jonny Greenwood among other great guitarists. His contribution to audio slave's sound complemented the singing style of Chris Cornell to a great degree, let’s not forget his “unorthodox” guitar solos. The other two members of audio slave were, Tim Commerford(Bass) and Brad Wilk(Drums), who are both very good instrumentalists in their own rights.

Audio slave was a good band, a very good band. It may or may not have been greater than either of its parent bands, but it was still a pretty good band. Audio slave during its existence had a few grammy nominations for the songs “Like a stone,” “doesn’t remind me,” and their self titled debut album “Audioslave.” So yeah, they certainly had their moments. I for one feel sad they broke up; they really had a good thing going.

Here are my best Audio slave songs:

1.       Like a stone
The song has quite the rhythm, Tom Morello’s guitar work really exemplified the groove and flow of the song, and then there’s the issue of his unnerving guitar solo, magic just. Not forgetting the awesome vocals by Chris Cornell. This is certainly my favorite audio slave song.   

2.       I am the highway
If the opening doesn’t show you how mellow and tranquil this song is, then surely Chris Cornell’s vocals will convince you. I may not be able to sing, but I won’t shy away from singing along to the words, because the whole song is just a well measured trance of musical hypnosis.

3.       Show me how to live
      The opening riff itself is a thing of beauty, the guitar solo may not be conventional, but I like it, and then the vocals are also something else, top top song this.

4.       Be yourself
This is one song that gets me going, it may not be an anthem, but there’s something about it that I just can’t wrap my head around. I just like everything about it.

5.       Cochise
I love me some riff and every time I listen to a song with a good riff, it automatically sets me on my way to loving the entire song. This is one such song, not to mention the drumming on here is pretty awesome.

6.       Doesn’t remind me
       Kick ass guitar solo by Tom Morello, and the overall song’s groove and rhythm are pretty nice, plus it has some nice lyrics. There’s no need to wonder why it received the Grammy nod.

7.       Revelations
Another incredible solo by Tom Morello, incredible singing by Chris Cornell plus awesome lyrics.

8.       Shadow on the sun
It may not be on most fans’ lists, but this audio slave song is what got me hooked on audio slave, and they say the first cut is the deepest and this one sure cut deep, very deep, still love to this day.

9.       What you are
The first thing about this song is the opening riff that instantly predicts despair and is reminiscent of ACDC’s “hells bells,” but obviously not quite identical. Then Chris Cornell’s vocals ensnare you, and just won’t let go.

10.   Gateway car
One of those rare ballads by audio slave, slow and smooth.  Everything about it is simple and well crafted, even the solo is as simple as Tom Morello could probably play his guitar. its awesome to say the least.

Comment and give us your best Audioslave songs

4 comments:

  1. i dnt know about the other songs... but i love the top 2.. mainly like a stone

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should also try out "show me how to live" you might like it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audio salve was a rock fans wet dream, unfortunately they just remained that, a dream. But boy oh boy, did they rock! Much has been said about Cornell's voice. He's among the greatest vocalist in Rock, ever! Like a stone is truly their magnum opus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, a fine vocalist indeed...

    ReplyDelete